Thursday, April 23, 2015

wyoming | bison at the moulton barn

grand teton national park
On the day we went rafting down the Snake River, we had a few hours to kill after our float trip was postponed due to the hail/lightning storm. Our rafting guide suggested we drive over to the Moulton Barn - the most photographed barn in North America and an iconic landmark in Jackson Hole. I'm never one to turn down a photo op, so Larry and I drove out to Antelope Flats to check it out. We decided to drive a little further into the plain first and check out the barn on the way back. As we drove past the Moulton settlement, we noticed a huge heard of brown cows in the distance. "Are those bison?" Larry asked. "Nah," I said, "There are way too many of them to be bison. That's a herd of cows." We drove further on until we found a solitary bison. I'd seen bison on my first trip to Wyoming, but it was still pretty exciting to see one of the big guys just wandering around in the wild.
grand teton national park
With 'see bison' crossed off our list, we drove back over to photograph the famed Moulton Barn.
grand teton national park
As we turned down the gravel road to Mormon Row, we realized that the cows we had seen in the distance earlier were indeed bison - a huge herd of about 200 or so, many of them causing a traffic jam in the road we were trying to drive down! It was incredible!
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
I don't know what it is with animals sticking their tongues out at me...rude bison (must be related to rude mountain goat!):
grand teton national park
There were even BABY BISON!
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
grand teton national park
Seriously, I could photograph these guys all day! How do I get a job as bison photographer???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These photos are breathtaking! I felt like I was along for the ride - thank you for the adventure by proxy.

Unknown said...

Yes to all of these posts! I would have been so tempted to reach out and touch those bison...

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Veronika - I read the signs about being gored by bison! I took all these pics from the safety of the car!

Unknown said...

I wouldn't have actually done it... doesn't mean I wouldn't want to... come here fuzzy bison...