Wednesday, April 2, 2014

#ayearofactive

#ayearofactive
I mentioned a few days ago that I've been making some changes in my life, and my fitness goal is one that I'm comfortable talking about now, even though it's something I'll be working on throughout the year (and beyond, as I'm hoping this leads to a permanent lifestyle change).

In December, I completed #ridefive and it was my most successful fitness challenge. I hoped to continue my new exercise habit in the new year, but I needed a new, more flexible goal - something that would keep me moving, but encourage other activities in addition to riding the bike. I also wanted to be able to document my progress on Instagram - I love having a creative/photography challenge that complements the physical challenge. So in January, I started #ayearofactive. The plan was to just be as active as possible in 2014 - to walk more, hike more, get outside more, and move more in addition to activities like swimming, biking, and kayaking.

The challenge was a bit of a bust during the first three months of the year, which is why I'm writing about it now. Let's just call it a slow start. It wasn't easy (or desirable) to get out and move with all the snow we had. That's a lame excuse, but that's what happened and I'm moving on. I'm calling January though March #ayearofactive practice and now that it's warming up, I'm declaring April the official start of #ayearofactive.

I'm extra motivated after witnessing my father-in-law recovering from open heart surgery and wanting to do everything I can to try to prevent that from happening to me. I also saw Michelle Obama talk about the Let's Move campaign on The Tonight Show in February (Also, this is hysterical. Michelle, you're such a good sport. "Exercise is NOT Ew!") and recently watched this video by Designed to Move that predicts today's generation of ten year old kids is the first generation expected to have a shorter lifespan than their parents. (Presumably because we're all sitting on our butts looking at our phones/computers/video games instead of getting out and moving. Shocking and disturbing.)

So, I'm inspired. And I'm kicking things off with a swimming challenge. I have 15 pool passes that expire at the end of the month, so my goal is to go swimming 15 times in April.

So now, I'm off to the pool. One swim down, fourteen to go...

No comments: